Intensive Medical and Environmental Emergency Training
Advanced Wilderness First Aid (AWFA) is an intensive 4-day course that provides in-depth information on medical and environmental emergencies, alongside hands-on practice of backcountry first aid skills. Students learn both in the classroom and in the mountains, along the trails and streams at NOC’s Nantahala River campus.
With an emphasis on leadership, students learn to confidently take control of medical situations. Over 4-days students learn patient assessment, injury management, and other necessary outdoor skills. This class goes into greater depth of the basic first aid subjects while emphasizing leadership skills. AWFA presents new skills such as litter packaging and traction splinting.
We believe in having a systematic approach to emergency situations so students can continue to develop their muscle memory, instincts, and improve reaction time for emergency situations.
This course includes American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) CPR and AED certification.
We also offer a WFA-AWFA Bridge Course for those who hold a current WFA Certification and would like an intensive two-day course that provides in-depth information on medical and environmental emergencies alongside the hands-on practice of backcountry first aid skills, building upon current skills. Dates also listed below.
Recommended For: WFA certified individuals looking to advance their skills.
Prerequisites: No Prerequisites Required
• 2-year AWFA Certification
• ASHI CPR and AED Certification.
*Price does not include lodging tax - Call for availability
|Advanced Wilderness First Aid||Feb 6th - 9th, 2023||Atlanta, GA||$475||Book Now|
|Advanced Wilderness First Aid||Apr 17th - 20th, 2023||Bryson City, NC||$425||Book Now|
|WFA-AWFA Bridge Course||Apr 19th - 20th, 2023||Bryson City, NC||$250||Book Now|
|Advanced Wilderness First Aid||Aug 21st - 24th, 2023||Bryson City, NC||$425||Book Now|
|WFA-AWFA Bridge Course||Aug 23rd - 24th, 2023||Bryson City, NC||$250||Book Now|
|Advanced Wilderness First Aid||Oct 23rd - 26th, 2023||Bryson City, NC||$425||Book Now|
- Wilderness vs. Urban First Aid
- Patient Assessment System
- Patient Lifting and Moving
- Litters: Improvised and Commercial
- Medicolegal Issues
- Traumatic Issues
- Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Soft Tissues Injuries
- Environmental Issues
- Medical Issues
This course is extremely hands-on. Students will participate in various scenarios and skill labs. Be prepared for any type of weather conditions.
Print the course packing list by clicking on the print icon to the right.
You should plan to have clothing appropriate to the season in which you will be taking the class, as you will spend a significant amount of time outside. The following list is to SUPPLEMENT the clothing you will be wearing. If you have trouble locating some of these items please call us as we have a limited amount for loan.
Necessary items (for all classes)
- Backpack to put everything in (medium to large)
- Rain gear (tops and bottoms)
- Layers of clothing (for splinting exercises and to keep yourself warm during scenarios)
- Warm hat or sun hat
- Water bottles (at least 1 qt/litre)
- Some snacks
- Pen and notepad
- Wrist Watch (cell phone is not sufficient)
- Foot wear appropriate to the terrain (closed toes, no flip flops)
- Insect repellent
(Optional for WFA, Required for AWFA, WFR, WEMT, WEMT Module)
- Old Sleeping bag or blanket
- Footwear you don't mind getting wet
- Plastic tarp or groundsheet (min 6’X6’)
- Head light
- Sleeping pad (ensolite or thermarest)
- Personal first aid kit (Band-Aids etc)
- Trekking poles (useful but not required)