Explore the Wilderness with Confidence
What do you do when things do not go as planned?
Keep yourself warm, safe, comfortable, fed, and oriented using the skills covered in this fun and informative class. We will talk about gear choices, personal care, dangers and how to deal with them. We will practice shelter making without store bought gear, and how to make fire even in challenging conditions. Hike with confidence and peace of mind!
|No Scheduled Courses
Basic skills needed for when the unexpected happens on an outdoor adventure.
You should plan to have clothing appropriate to the season in which you will be taking the class, as you will spend a significant amount of time outside. The following list is to SUPPLEMENT the clothing you will be wearing. If you have trouble locating some of these items please call us as we have a limited amount for loan.
- Backpack to put everything in (medium to large)
- Rain gear (tops and bottoms)
- Layers of clothing (weather dependent)
- Warm hat or sun hat (weather dependent)
- Water bottles (at least 1 qt/litre)
- Pen and notepad
- Wrist Watch (cell phone is not sufficient)
- Foot wear appropriate to the terrain (closed toes, no flip flops)
- Insect repellent & Sunscreen
- Leather gloves
- Old Sleeping bag or blanket
- Fixed-blade knife (NO folding knife) Note: If you don't own a fixed-blade knife, we recommend trying some of our knives to see what you prefer
- Sleeping pad (foam or inflatable)
- Personal first aid kit
For overnight courses
- Sleeping bag or sleeping pad
- Eating utensils (including bowl & cup)
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Non-perishable food (e.g. mountain house camping food)
- Students staying in Basecamp lodging - bring linens/sleeping bag, pillow, towel, & cooking utensils (if planning to use the shared kitchen)