Critical Training for Outdoor Leaders
Created for professional outdoor leaders and backcountry enthusiasts, the Backcountry Survival Instructor Training is an intensive 5-day course. This course is designed not only to solidify your backcountry skills but to enhance your knowledge, allowing you to teach others the basics of survival skills.
Our elite team of instructors demonstrate group management skills and teach you how to organize and lead groups and demonstrate wilderness skills. No prerequisites are required, but previous backcountry experience is recommended.
Minimum Age: 18
Recommended For: Professional outdoor leaders & backcountry enthusiasts
Prerequisites: Backcountry experience recommended
*Price does not include lodging tax - Call for availability
|No Scheduled Courses|
Covering a mixture of topics for backcountry survival. Call for more details.
You should plan to have clothing appropriate to the season in which you will be taking the class, as you will spend a significant amount of time outside. The following list is to SUPPLEMENT the clothing you will be wearing. If you have trouble locating some of these items please call us as we have a limited amount for loan.
- Backpack to put everything in (medium to large)
- Rain gear (tops and bottoms)
- Layers of clothing (weather dependent)
- Warm hat or sun hat (weather dependent)
- Water bottles (at least 1 qt/litre)
- Pen and notepad
- Wrist Watch (cell phone is not sufficient)
- Foot wear appropriate to the terrain (closed toes, no flip flops)
- Insect repellent & Sunscreen
- Leather gloves
- Old Sleeping bag or blanket
- Fixed-blade knife (NO folding knife) Note: If you don't own a fixed-blade knife, we recommend trying some of our knives to see what you prefer
- Sleeping pad (foam or inflatable)
- Personal first aid kit
For overnight courses
- Sleeping bag or sleeping pad
- Eating utensils (including bowl & cup)
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Non-perishable food (e.g. mountain house camping food)
- Students staying in Basecamp lodging - bring linens/sleeping bag, pillow, towel, & cooking utensils (if planning to use the shared kitchen)